Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Hodduk 호떡

Crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside w. a sweet filling - best eaten warm but not right off the frying pan unless you like 3rd degree burns on the inside your mouth & tongue. This my friends is hodduk. The batter differs from either just straight sweet rice flour, water, sugar & salt or a sweet bread dough or a mix of rice & wheat flours... Many a late night cravings have been satiated in LA by a quick run to a cart outside of a Korean market peddling this hot discs of sweet crack.

My mom used to make this snack all the time when i was growing up - I loved the combo of ttuk & sweet red bean paste. (Red bean b/c that's healthier than just brown sugar/peanuts). But after a while, the novelty wore off and we haven't really made it in quite some time... until this past weekend. My mom likes to make snacks for the choir group at church (of which she's a member, bless her little stage fright heart) for the mornings... Each member takes turns in providing the "breakfast". So she's been meaning to make the ttuk for a few months and I kept discouraging her (b/c I already knew how much work it would entail). Anyhow, what she thought was going to be a 2 hr project turned into an all afternoon thing... My mom tends to make them HUGE, like a rice cake burrito which I think is too much of a good thing. I did sneak in and experiment & make my own version...

 I like to let the ttuk get crispy so I fry it for a bit longer than I should on each side...
Just the right amount of sweet red bean paste

1 comment:

  1. YUM! I'm so missing my mom's cooking right now... =P Looks delicious, Lydia!

    ReplyDelete