Tuesday, June 5, 2012

A Rare Break at Home

I know I know... I've been so inactive on here. I must try to make time to blog more often - time to catch up on my food projects! A couple months ago I spent a day off at home rarely enough - and I did nothing. Well, relatively nothing - I made some cookies & baked some potato chips for the heck of it.

I "threatened" my shop foreman at work with cookies the previous day. I do not make idle threats when it comes to food. I have this need to feed people (I get it from my mom) - so to say "thanks for putting up with my random car repair questions & my hovering over your shoulder while do some complicated wiring work" I decided to make him some cookies. I set my mind on my go to cookie - oatmeal peanut butter chocolate chip.

I ended up just shy of 5 dozen cookies (a few were swiped by my resident guinea pig - my dad). I boxed them up getting ready to take them to work the next day split them up into 2 boxes. One box for my shop foreman and the rest of my team of technicians and one box for one specific technician on my team... Why? Because I am bribing a painfully shy but super nice technician to talk to me at work about stuff other than work! (He also happens to be a chocolate fiend.) Is it wrong that I pretty much paying him to engage in conversation with me? =P

The cookies came out pretty soft - I made the batter early in the day

 I usually let the batter refrigerate for at least a full day before making a batch

The cookies were still happily consumed



I decided I was going to try my hand at homemade potato chips too - my mind wanders when I brainstorm about food to make. I busted out my trusty Japanese mandoline (cuz my knife skills are so-so and I wanted the slices to be uniform & thin) and sliced away while being mindful not to slice off my thumb in the process. And my qualms about my oven were confirmed - uneven temperatures! My parents will think I'm crazy for wanted to put in some unglazed ceramic tiles on the floor of the oven (they just won't understand) but really it's the best way I can think of to regulate the oven temperature inside without investing in a pizza stone (which is basically a big thick unglazed tile anyway). There I gave up a free kitchen tip.  =P


Some were super crispy. some were chewy... but overall it was good

The cookies were all consumed within the first few hours of work - MUAHAHAHAHA. I think some of the guys were too excited about the cookies, consumed too many too fast and ended up with stomachaches well into lunchtime - booo! Now I'm getting requests to bring in some more homemade food from the guys... HAHAHA.



No comments:

Post a Comment